Heart of Texas Giant Schnauzers is extended Giant family and reader supported. When you purchase through links we provide, we may earn an affiliate commission and Thank You for your Support! Read more here
The Top 6 Best Orthopedic Dog Beds for Giant Schnauzers
A Large Breed Dog such as the Giant Schnauzer grows rapidly. Because they are heavier and take longer to develop structurally, their framework needs added support that small and medium sized breeds don’t require.
The Best Orthopedic Dog Beds for Giant Schnauzers are much more than a bigger fluffy surface to spread out on. Keep in mind it takes up to 2-years for their body to grow and they need the Best support for their large structure that could affect them over a lifetime. Growing into Senior years, they need the support more than ever.
The Best Dog Beds Are More Than Just A Big Bed
We want our Giant Schnauzers to continuously live an active and healthy lifestyle and it’s important to protect their joints from painful pressure against hard surfaces, whether it’s from the floor, a crate, or other hard surfaces. When buying a dog bed many pet owners will simply choose a bed that’s Big without considering their Giant Schnauzer’s individual needs.
The Best Orthopedic Beds for Large Breed Dogs
A quality Orthopedic Dog Bed will provide comfort and support to help protect joints and large breed bone structure. They eliminate harmful pressure points from joint areas of your dog to hard flooring surfaces. A well-designed bed will not flatten… there are many that do. A bed that’s flat as a pancake makes the orthopedic support of a bed useless if your dog is touching the floor.
Other features in this style of bed might include these questions:
Does it have a washable cover? Is it, “water resistant” or “waterproof”? How thick is the mattress, and how much weight will it support? Is the cover durable and well made? Does the bed have head and neck support? Keep in mind, orthopedic dog beds are designed more around support than they are against chewers and dogs who need more durability. .
If you have a Giant Schnauzer who tends to destroy beds… you may want to check out our Best Elevated Dog Beds for Giant Schnauzers .
Otherwise, based on orthopedic support, design, quality, reputation, Giant Schnauzer and other pet owner opinions, we concluded our Top BEST picks by Orthopedic design for Giant Schnauzers …
1. Big Barker 7-inch Pillowtop Orthopedic Dog Bed
Your dog deserves ultimate comfort and it’s fair to say this is what Cadillac dreams are made of. This is a bed for LIFE, and specifically built with Large Breed Dogs in mind. It is available in three sizes, you can choose from Large (48’x30’x7’), Extra Large (52”x36”x7”) and Giant (60”x48”x7”). The durable upholstery grade microfiber cover is machine washable and in four colors: burgundy, charcoal gray, chocolate and khaki. Handmade and skillfully crafted, this bed has 7” superior CertiPUR-US certified non-toxic foam and provides evenly distributed orthopedic support to your dog’s structural framework up to 300 lbs. The contoured 4” headrest provides additional head and neck support.
The Seller warrants a 10-year guarantee this bed won’t flatten and retain 90% of its shape and support for 10 years or they replace it for FREE. It is this plus the great customer care you can’t beat.
When Giant Schnauzers lay on hard surfaces such as the floor or even concrete, it can create pressure sores and callused areas at their joints. We like this bed for its durable quality and washable cover, its premium and carefully thought out foam structure to alleviate these pressure points. While it is pricier than most dog beds, the quality sets this bed high above the mark next to other dog beds.
- Constructed to perform well, specifically with large breed dogs in mind.
- Provides great orthopedic support, built to eliminate pressure points.
- Strong furniture grade, machine washable, microfiber cover
- CertiPUR-US certified foam is non-toxic and made in the USA using high quality standards
- 10-Year No flat warranty
- High ticket item, but we think overall, it’s worth the investment.
- The bed cover is somewhat water resistant though NOT waterproof, and the additional liner is a separate purchase. – It is worth noting we think their waterproof liner is the best on the market and should be something to consider additionally.
The Big Barker has really went all out considering the needs pertinent to the construction of their beds for large dogs. They are high-quality, supportive and durable- Built to Last. They have been thoughtfully planned by design, and therefore we believe it to be The Absolute Best Dog Bed.
2. Bully Beds Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
This is an orthopedic memory foam dog bed also constructed with CertiPUR-US certified foam, designed to support hips and joints. There are four sizes in: Medium (34”x22”x4”), Large (48”x30”x7”), XL (52”x34”x7”) and XXL (60”x48”x7”) and has a standard soft microfiber machine washable cover that has an inside waterproof cover as well. Most sizes are available in three colors: tan, chocolate and gray. This bed includes a 20-Year No Flat Warranty for a one-time replacement if the bed loses more than 2” of its shape. This does not include normal wear and tear, or damage caused. It also has a 4” contoured headrest for additional support.
A senior Giant Schnauzer could do well with this bed, simply because of the specialty foam that does not break down or bottom out to leave your dog on the hard floor. It has more than sufficient support for their joints and bone structure.
Have a rough and rowdy Giant Schnauzer? The standard outer cover is good, but not quite as dependable as we need for our juvenile and adult giants who can be a bit rough and rowdy at times.
As this bed originally comes, it could be quite suitable for the dog who is on the mellower side.
- Uses non-toxic CertiPUR-US certified foam and supports up to 300 lbs.
- Removable washable cover
- 20-year no flat warranty
- While we like that the cover is washable, I could not find supporting information regarding the strength and resistance of the material itself. – Some reported loose stitching, thin fabric and not durable against digging or nesting, but there are also many others extremely pleased with their Bully Bed.
- We think this bed could be improved if it came with a Heavy-duty cover in the original purchase, but that is not currently being offered. They can be purchased separately at additional cost.
- The inner waterproof liner is on the thinner side and may not withstand use or washing. The manufacturer recommends doubling up for dogs with incontinent issues.
3. PetFusion XXL Jumbo Ultimate Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
Your Giant Schnauzer might like to be cuddled some, and this dog bed could be the ticket with its generously stuffed wrap around bolster, bringing your bearded baby softness and comfort. As an owner you might be satisfied knowing your dog will be supported by 6“of solid memory foam at the base and held up to 200 lbs. The premium removable cover is made of a durable polyester-cotton blend twill, which is water-resistant and has dual zipper compartments to easily reassemble after being washed. To top it off, this bed has an inner liner for added protection against accidents. If you like additional comfort, there are premium plush blankets available as well.
Consider the inner dimensions and keep in mind the bolster will take up some bedding space for your dog. There are several sizes to choose from, but we think the XXL Jumbo is the right fit for an adult Giant Schnauzer (outer dimensions: 50”x40’x13”, inner dimensions: 42”x33”x6”).
- This XXL Jumbo memory foam is thick and supportive for large dogs.
- Comfort bolster to cozy up in or added neck support.
- Machine washable cover fits snuggly against the foam and bolster- guards against dog nails getting caught or snagged within the fabric.
- 2-year warranty against manufacturer defects and poor workmanship
- Following unpackaging, this bed may need some time to air out and dissipate odors (if there are any) prior to use, especially since dogs are nose sensitive.
- The cover is just water-resistant, not waterproof.
4. K9 Ballistic’s Tough Orthopedic Rectangle Dog Bed
K9 Ballistic’s Tough Dog Bed is something to consider, being known for their durable Ripstop Ballistic fabric. Indeed, the Original TUFF Dog Bed is resistant against dogs who dig and scratch at the surface, and for light to moderate chewers. We know giant schnauzers are the powerhouse in dogs and this may not be the bed for you if yours is the destructive type. If they are, the Seller warrants: 120-DAY CHEW PROOF WARRANTY: If your dog damages the bed cover within the first 120 days, we’ll replace the cover once free of charge.
Your dog will be well supported by 5 inches of solid premium foam, ranging in size from small to XXL. There are 15 colors to choose from including a variety of solids, camo(s), velvet and even lattice to match your stylish needs.
The cover itself is machine washable and has a water-resistant lining to keep your dog sleeping fresh.
- The solid foam insert is supportive, resists clumping and flattening.
- Provides good support for seniors or dogs who need additional support.
- The cover has reinforced corners, a no seam top layer and uses triple stitching.
- It is pricey
- This is a top-rated bed amongst owners and even though the fabric is meant to be durable and tough… we need to consider the Giant Schnauzer breed. If your dog can make it through the cover, they will get to the stuffing and make this bed useless.
- The cover itself is under warranty, the foam is not. We think the warranty needs some improvement to more extended time and include the inner foam. At the same time, some (not all) Giant Schnauzers will be within that small percent that can make it through anything.
5. Sealy Lux Quad Layer XL Orthopedic Dog Bed with Cooling Gel
Sealy brings over 130 years of sleep technology expertise to the table. Many consider this the World’s #1 Dog Bed. Their innovative advanced technology will keep your dog cool, while conforming to the comfort of their body. The quad layer system provides ultimate support and comfort for even the largest of dogs. The removable cover is machine washable and available in brown, military green, modern gray and navy. This dog bed also has a water-resistant layer throughout the bed section (not the bolster) and has a non-skid bottom.
Quad layer technology (top-bottom layers)
The Cooling Energy Gel– dissipates body heat from sleeping surface (Great for those of us in hotter climates).
Pet Rest Memory Foam– adapts and conforms to your dog’s body and aids to increase circulation
Bio-Orthopedic Foam– evenly distributes your pet’s weight against harmful pressure points
Pro-Charcoal HD Foam Base– provides firm additional support at the lower portion and helps to absorb smelly odors.
This could very well be the most advanced bed known to dog.
- The Cooling energy gel is the best feature here, which brings added comfort to dogs drawn to cool surfaces.
- Washable cover
- Odor absorbing Pro-Charcoal foam keeps the dog bed fresher.
- This bed definitely has pros that other dog beds don’t provide, but for the price, there are other beds available with thicker orthopedic foam to support larger structures.
6. The Dog’s Bed XL Orthopedic Dog Bed
Everyone owned by a Giant Schnauzer knows there is rarely any alone time- unless you somehow magically make that happen, so I really like the name, “The Dog’s Bed”. This premium memory foam bed comes in a variety of sizes, ranging from small to XXXL and two styles, with and without the headrest. The depth of the bed varies between 4” and 6”, depending on what size you will need. There are 8 colors to choose from – check them out closely- there are easy-clean fabrics, which can simply be wiped down or vacuumed or plush fabrics to add to your dog’s specific comfort needs (both are machine washable). Additional covers are available, too.
Inside of this XL orthopedic dog bed you will find 6” of solid premium foam in a double layered system. The base is 4” of high stability foam and the top layer is 2” of solid high-density memory foam.
There is waterproof bed protector however, this may be more water-resistant (meaning, you need to get to it quickly) than it is full on protection against leakage.
- The shape of this bed is ideal for crate use, so long as the crate is large enough to fit both dog and bed.
- Contours to the shape of your dog’s body and provides thick support to relieve pressure against hips and joints.
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty against manufacturer defects
- This bed is designed and assembled in the U.S. from parts manufactured in China. There are two World leading European companies that oversee production ensuring high quality standards are being used. This may be of importance to those who are really want 100% USA made.
Hopefully, you have found the right Orthopedic Dog Bed for your Giant Schnauzer. If you thought our reviews have helped you, Please Share! We appreciate it very much!!